Saturday, July 19, 2014

The world cup is over , now what?

The FIFA world cup is finally over. Which means room for "other than soccer" topics of conversation over lunch, coffee and dinner (did people notice the Wimbledon just whisked by?). Not a huge soccer fan myself but it is difficult to stay immune to the hoopla and the passion around what probably is the greatest sporting spectacle in the world. My most vivid image of the soccer world cup is Italy winning the finals in 2006. I happened to be in Milan during the world cup and was lucky enough to witness the grand victory of a soccer obsessed nation. Notwithstanding the FIFA spectacle, Italy remains one of my most favorite destinations in the world.



                         


Speaking of favorite destinations, I managed to visit Goa thrice in less than a year. Between taking my parents to South Goa just after monsoons to holidaying with an old friend leaving for Singapore, Goa manages to offer everything from the solitude of it's remote beaches to the epitome of letting your hair down and not caring about the world. My friend also introduced me to this series of travel books written by Fiona Caufield. Called the 'Love' series, Fiona writes about the most offbeat destinations to be discovered in a place. We discovered an old Portugese villa serving traditional Portugese fare for dinner (also the owner chats up with you and may even be cajoled to play the guitar. Which he did for us. Two women can be insistent enough).
















The monsoons are here. Thankfully Bangalore weather has gone back to being 'Bangalore' weather again. If you know what I mean. Between my early morning tennis classes and generally being violently lazy, I try and manage to pick up a cue on Bong cuisine from here. I love the way she writes and her general enthusiasm for food. Plus inspiring an audience like me , who given a chance would stick to the luxuries of a cook dishing out the fare for you. Hopefully, I will surprise my 'Bong mom' when she comes visiting next time :-).




No comments:

Post a Comment